Celebrating 2SLGBTQIA+ People in Applied Sciences
For the second installment our Pride Month series, the Applied Science EDI.I office encourages everyone to explore the experiences and contributions of 2SLGBTQIA+ people in our communities.
June 15, 2022
- Explore the work of Elizabeth Saewyc, Director of UBC’s School of Nursing and the Stigma and Resilience Among Vulnerable Youth Centre (SARAVYC), whose research focuses on 2SLGBTQIA+ and marginalized youth.
- Watch the video LGBTQ+ Scientists of the Past and Present to hear about the inspiring contributions Leonardo Da Vinci, Alan Turing, Margaret Mead, and more.
- Read about the experiences of 2SLGBTQIA+ professionals working in STEM based on this report from Science Advances.
- Take part in UBC Pride Connect, a reception which aims to help faculty, staff, and postdoctoral scholars build and sustain 2SLGBTQIA+ networks, while championing a more inclusive campus community. The event is on June 29th at the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre.
- Listen to first-hand accounts from 2SLGBTQIA+ scientists on the podcast LGBTQ+ Stem Cast.
Call to Action
- Read stories from the 500 Queer Scientists Visibility Campaign, a visibility campaign for LGBTQ+ people and their allies working in STEM. Add your voice and story to promote recognition and awareness of queer scientists!