Volunteer as a mentor with the UBC Engineering Mentoring Program - share your knowledge and experience with students who are defining their career path, expanding their professional network and developing important professional skills.
As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to support one or two undergraduate and/or graduate engineering students who have similar interests. Our goal for our mentors is to connect with their mentee(s) on a monthly basis after the formal launch of the program in September of each year.
Many of our mentors tell us that they get as much out of the mentoring program as their mentees! You will benefit from the opportunity to give back to the profession by offering insight to a young person starting out in your field while strengthening your own coaching and leadership skills. The program events also offer opportunities for you to network with some of your industry peers in an informal setting.
As a mentor, you will:
- Connect with the vibrant and dynamic engineering community at UBC and be inspired by the enthusiasm of prospective engineers
- Share your career experiences and lessons with two students
- Increase your understanding of the mentoring process and what it takes to be an effective mentor
- Expand your network by meeting other industry professionals involved in the mentoring program
Mentoring is considered a Continuing Professional Development activity and as such is encouraged and recognized by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia.
What's expected of you
- Attend two program-wide events — Orientation & Closing Event
- Approximately 1 hour/monthly time commitment (between October and March)
- Be available by phone and email to your mentees
We will be recruiting mentees and mentors in late Summer 2022. More information will be posted here shortly - stay tuned!
If you are interested in participating in the program, we encourage you to fill out the Interest Expression Form so that you will be notified when we start recruiting.
For more information on the Engineering Mentoring Program, please email: